Subject: [Very long] Post-partem rant and retrospective
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 03:56:11 +0200
From: Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl>
To: debian-private@lists.debian.org

I've decided to write this in a separate mail because I'm afraid this may get long. Quite a bit of this has been written before, but I hope some of you will bear with me.
[snip]
So, what has made me decide to leave the project. It's a combination of just plain emotional stress over the whole Sven Luther issue, frustration with the inability of the project to deal with that and with some other issues, and frustration with the fact that a fair number of members of the project seem to feel that as long as you don't upload packages with trojans, pretty much anything is OK.

Steve McIntyre's BBQ

Later in 2007, Frans Pop traveled to Cambridge, England for a BBQ organized by Steve McIntyre. At the time, McIntyre was employed by ARM and he was a previous Debian Project Leader (DPL), having ended the term in April 2007. Debian is not incorporated and so it is basically an extension of McIntyre's job at ARM.

Lucy Wayland was also an ARM employee at the time of her death in 2019.

It looks like Frans came out of Debian retirement for a sausage and a beer.

Subject: Revoking retirement from the project
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:51:06 +0200
From: Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl>
To: debian-private@lists.debian.org

On Thursday 31 May 2007 03:55, Frans Pop wrote: > As already announced in an earlier mail, I am hereby retiring from the > project.
Right. We are now almost 3 months after I made my resignation final (or 5 months since I first announced it) and after a lot of soul searching the past couple of weeks and looking at what I've been doing over the past few months, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not ready to abandon the project after all.
As my account is still active (which is probably not completely surprising), I guess that technically I'm still a DD and thus that this message should be sufficient. If not, please let me know.
The main factors that have prompted this decision have been two real life meetings (Sledge's BBQ and a small dinner in AMS) and also watching the moving "last lecture" from MIT's Randy Pausch [1]. The first have made me realize the strong ties I've developed with some DDs and the last has made me reconsider whether I should give up so "easily". I also want to thank the many people who sent me a message (either on d-private or privately) in reply to my resignation mails. Though not an important factor, they have helped to make me reconsider.
The fact that I want to be a DD again does not mean that I'm ready to go back to the level of involvement/activity I had before my resignation. I am rather disappointed at the progress on social committee and on DSA and FTP-master issues since Debconf, although both seem to have been revived recently. For the time being I'm going to be doing just the things that I enjoy and feel like doing. I certainly won't be taking on any major responsibilities until there is a lot more clarity how social issues are going to be handled in the future.
It seems to me that one problem may be that people treat social problems like a bug: they first have to reproduce the problem themselves and experience it at first hand before being willing to acknowledge that there _is_ a problem and act accordingly. I hope that the past events have shown that this does not work and that we need mechanisms to either intervene early so escalation is prevented, or at least need to act consistently after measures have been taken. I think that as a project we have to learn to trust and accept the judgement of others in such matters.
Cheers, FJP
[1] http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/21/1448229

The free ARM netbook

Some time later, Pop was gifted a free ARM netbook in exchange for adapting the Debian installer to run on it.

In March 2010, a few months before his death, Pop wrote a blog about the ARM netbook, captured in archive.org.

I got this neat little Chinese netbook after a mail to the debian-arm list where one machine was offered in exchange for porting Debian to it. So I offered to get Debian Installer running on it.

Pop makes the following comment in the blog:

The goal of getting D-I running was achieved last week, though not without needing to overcome some steep hurdles.

Throughout the first months of 2010, we can see Pop interacting with other developers in the debian-arm mailing list archives.

Pop was not employed or paid by ARM. He did all this as a volunteer.

The ARM netbook was valued at approximately $130. Was one free netbook fair consideration for the effort Frans Pop expended?

Porting to a new platform is not always very hard, sometimes it is just tedious.

When the DEP-5 debate resurfaced on Friday, 13 August 2010 it may have simply been the straw the broke the camel's back. Pop's energy was already spent on other tasks earlier in the year.

In fact, this notion of the straw that broke the camel's back is the same conclusion I considered looking at the coroner's report for Richard Rothwell's suicide in 2009.

McIntyre, from ARM, had been re-elected DPL in April 2008 and served in that role until April 2010. Pop resigned to commit suicide the night before Debian.Day. He left instructions for his parents to contact McIntyre, it appears that McIntyre had some sort of spell over Pop.

Subject: Resignation
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 21:41:18 +0200
From: Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl>
To: debian-private@lists.debian.org

It's time to say goodbye. I don't want to say too much about it, except that I've been planning this for a long time.
[...]

Subject: Death of Frans Pop Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:47:34 +0100 From: Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> To: debian-private@lists.debian.org
Hi all,
I have bad news to share with people, I'm afraid. This morning, I've just received an email from the parents of Frans Pop telling me that he died yesterday.
"Yesterday morning our son Frans Pop has died. He took his own life, in a well-considered, courageous, and considerate manner. During the last years his main concern was his work for Debian. I would like to ask you to inform those members of the Debian community who knew him well."
[...]

More about the Debian.Day volunteer suicide

Frans Pop, ARM netbook, Debian

Other Recent Techrights' Posts

Daniel Pocock: "I've Gone to Some Lengths to Demonstrate How Corporate Bad Actors Have Used Amateur-hour Codes of Conduct to Push Volunteers Into Modern Slavery"
"As David explains, the Codes of Conduct should work the other way around to regulate the poor behavior of corporations who have been far too close to the Debian Suicide Cluster."

Links 18/05/2024: Caledonia Emergency Powers, "UK Prosecutor's Office Went Too Far in the Assange Case"
Links for the day
Microsoft ("a Dying Megacorporation that Does Not Create") and IBM: An Era of Dying Giants With Leadership Deficits and Corporate Bailouts (Subsidies From Taxpayers)
Microsoft seems to be resorting to lots of bribes and chasing of bailouts (i.e. money from taxpayers worldwide)
US Patent and Trademark Office Sends Out a Warning to People Who Do Not Use Microsoft's Proprietary Formats
They're punishing people who wish to use open formats
Links 18/05/2024: Fury in Microsoft Over Studio Shutdowns, More Gaming Layoffs
Links for the day
Over at Tux Machines...
GNU/Linux news for the past day
IRC Proceedings: Friday, May 17, 2024
IRC logs for Friday, May 17, 2024
Links 18/05/2024: KOReader, Benben v0.5.0 Progress Update, and More
Links for the day
Microsoft-Connected Sites Trying to Shift Attention Away From Microsoft's Megebreach Only Days Before Important If Not Unprecedented Grilling by the US Government?
Why does the mainstream media not entertain the possibility a lot of these talking points are directed out of Redmond?
[Meme] UEFI 'Secure' Boot Boiling Frog
UEFI 'Secure' Boot: You can just ignore it. You can just turn it off. You can hack on it as a workaround. Just use Windows dammit!
The Market Wants to Delete Windows and Install GNU/Linux, UEFI 'Secure' Boot Must Go!
To be very clear, this has nothing to do with security and those who insist that it is have absolutely no credentials
In the United States Of America the Estimated Share of Google Search Grew After Microsoft's Chatbot Hype (Which Coincided With Mass Layoffs at Bing)
Microsoft's chatbot hype started in late 2022
Techrights Will Categorically Object to Any Attempts to Deny Its Right to Publish Informative, Factual Material
we'll continue to publish about 20 pages per day while challenging censorship attempts
Links 17/05/2024: Microsoft Masks Layoffs With Return-to-office (RTO) Mandates, More YouTube Censorship
Links for the day
YouTube Progresses to the Next Level
YouTube is a ticking time bomb
Journalists and Human Rights Groups Back Julian Assange Ahead of Monday's Likely Very Final Decision
From the past 24 hours...
[Meme] George Washington and the Bill of Rights
Centuries have passed since the days of George Washington, but the principles are still the same
Video of Richard Stallman's Talk From Four Weeks Ago
2-hour video of Richard Stallman speaking less than a month ago
statCounter Says Twitter/X Share in Russia Fell From 23% to 2.3% in 3 Years
it seems like YouTube gained a lot
Journalist Who Won Awards for His Coverage of the Julian Assange Ordeals Excluded and Denied Access to Final Hearing
One can speculate about the true reason/s
Richard Stallman's Talk, Scheduled for Two Days Ago, Was Not Canceled But Really Delayed
American in Paris
3 More Weeks for Daniel Pocock's Campaign to Win a Seat in European Parliament Elections
Friday 3 weeks from now is polling day
Microsoft Should Have Been Fined and Sanctioned Over UEFI 'Lockout' (Locking GNU/Linux Out of New PCs)
Why did that not happen?
Gemini Links 16/05/2024: Microsoft Masks Layoffs With Return-to-office (RTO) Mandates, Cash Issues
IRC Proceedings: Thursday, May 16, 2024
IRC logs for Thursday, May 16, 2024
Ex-Red Hat CEO Paul Cormier Did Not Retire, He Just Left IBM/Red Hat a Month Ago (Ahead of Layoff Speculations)
Rather than retire he took a similar position at another company
Linux.com Made Its First 'Article' in Over and Month, It Was 10 Words in Total, and It's Not About Linux
play some 'webapp' and maybe get some digital 'certificate' for a meme like 'clown computing'
[Meme] Never Appease the Occupiers
Freedom requires truth. Free speech emancipates.
Thorny Issues, Violent Response
They say protests (or strikes) that do not disrupt anything are simply not effective. The same can be said about reporting.
GNU/Linux in Malaysia: From 0.2 Percent to 6+ Percent
That's like 30-fold increase in relative share
Liberty in Liberia? Windows Falls Below 10% and Below iOS
This is clearly a problem for Microsoft
Techrights Congratulates Raspberry Pi (With Caution and Reservations)
Raspberry Pi will "make or break" based on the decisions made in its boardroom
OSI Makes a Killing for Bill Gates and Microsoft (Plagiarism and GPL Violations Whitewashed and Openwashed)
meme and more
The FSF Ought to Protest Against UEFI 'Secure Boot' (Like It Used To)
libreplanet-discuss stuff
People Who Defend Richard Stallman's Right to Deliver Talks About His Work Are Subjected to Online Abuse and Censorship
Stallman video removed
GNU/Linux Grows in Denmark, But Much of That is ChromeOS, Which Means No Freedom
Google never designs operating systems with freedom in mind
Links 16/05/2024: Vehicles Lasting Fewer Years, Habitat Fragmentation Concerns
Links for the day
GNU/Linux Reaches 6.5% in Canada (Including ChromeOS), Based on statCounter
Not many news sites are left to cover this, let alone advocate for GNU/Linux
Links 16/05/2024: Orangutans as Political Props, VMware Calls Proprietary 'Free'
Links for the day
The Only Thing the So-called 'Hey Hi Revolution' Gave Microsoft is More Debt
Microsoft bailouts
TechTarget (and Computer Weekly et al): We Target 'Audiences' to Sell Your Products (Using Fake Articles and Surveillance)
It is a deeply rogue industry that's killing legitimate journalism by drowning out the signal (real journalism) with sponsored fodder
FUD Alert: 2024 is Not 2011 and Ebury is Not "Linux"
We've seen Microsofers (actual Microsoft employees) putting in a lot of effort to shift the heat to Linux
Links 15/05/2024: XBox Trouble, Slovakia PM Shot 5 Times
Links for the day
Windows in Times of Conflict
In pictures
IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, May 15, 2024
IRC logs for Wednesday, May 15, 2024