Bonum Certa Men Certa

Debian Developer at Sirius Was Under the Wrong Impression That Staff Must Check or Should See E-mail All the Time (24/7 Work Attention is an Occupational Health Hazard)

posted by Roy Schestowitz on Mar 04, 2024,
updated Mar 04, 2024

My personal and professional experience with a Debian Developer (DD) at work didn't leave me scarred, but I will always remember how he (and only he) expected me to read work E-mails even on my days off (5 days a week were 'off days'), basically working for "free" and not mentally disconnecting from the job

Silhouette Boy With Telephone

13 years ago I had only just joined Sirius (February 2011) and it didn't take me long to see who's who (or what).

In my experience, we a had Debian Developer (DD) at the company and he used his DD status to appeal for authority, or so the boss would have us believe. As Daniel Pocock often says, DD is used as a recruitment badge or as inherited status symbol, never mind if in recent years one could get "DD" in one's resume for merely sleeping with a guy in a position of authority at Debian. No need to either write code or even know how to write code!

Anyway, Chris Lamb-gate was a lot more recent than 2011, so let's assume DD still meant something back then. In Sirius, there was just one DD and, in my case, it was the principal vector of toxic and unhealthy culture, brought into workplaces and imposed upon others (my colleagues at the time).

See, back in 2011 when I only worked weekends (Saturday and Sunday strictly; years later I started doing full-time) and someone was 'bossing' me I was repeatedly reminded to check my E-mails often, even if I'm off work for 5 days in a row.

Old toll phone - public phone

Sadly, I cannot find all the relevant E-mails (it was a very long time ago and I cannot remember what terms to look for), but suddenly it seems very relevant because Mr. Pocock wrote about this toxic work "ethic" - one that could result in a car accident (people deprived of sleep) or a lot of overwhelming stress due to overworking or people mailing you 24/7 (or gossiping about you in some secretive E-mail/mailing list). Boundaries between home and work (or life and labour, which can happen in the same location) are encouraged for a good reason.

Mr. Pocock spoke out based on him experiencing such things back to the 1990s, noting that this "24/7" culture was likely in violation of labour laws; this endemic/addictive culture helped explain how or why it was harming people's health in Debian and this mindset was brought into Sirius in 2011 or earlier (before I was there).

To be clear, one person - and a single person only - prodded me to check E-mail while I was off work; only a Debian Developer told me this, ever. In fact, this theme kept coming up in 2011 (several times) and they put pressure on colleagues to not be truly off work, even when formally the work time was over and it was time to rest. Here is an E-mail dated Thursday, 24 Feb 2011 (about a fortnight after I had joined the company):

Subject: Re: Jabber status messages - Message Received

Hopefully you still read your Sirius mail more frequently than once a
week ;)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:06:15 +0000 "Roy Schestowitz - Autoreply Message" xxxxxwrote:
> [Debian Developer], > > I am in the process of replacing E-mail correspondence with other, > more effective & real-time means of communication. I still read my > E-mail, but I do not read it regularly. I will collect messages about > once a week, which makes manual filtering of spam a lot faster. > > If you are willing to have a conversation with me, please consider > creating/using an account in identi.ca < http://identi.ca/ > (or > Twitter) where I can be contacted by handle @schestowitz. > Alternatively, you can find me on IRC, under the Freenode network at > channel _techrights > > If the E-mail is urgent, please send mail to s@schestowitz.com, which > I will read more regularly. For an explanation of why I prefer to > phase my E-mail accounts out, see < > http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/email.html >

There were E-mails similar to it around that time.

Is this the sort of culture Debian Developers can bring to a workplace, as if someone working twice a week should in fact 'work' every day and not take breaks?

A few months later there was a relatively long discussion among colleagues, including myself. Here's one E-mail from that thread:

Re: Backing up emails

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:59:33 +0100

From: Roy Schestowitz

To: [Debian Developer] CC: [redacted]

> A couple of quick points:
>
>> I must agree with xxxxxxx. Personally, I read NOC folder+triage at least
>> twice *every* day,
> ...but much more regularly when you're on shift, because there's an SLA
> on responding quickly.

Yes, then I get it alerting me within minutes, like an RSS feed. But actually, the shift reports are the ones I read carefully while not on shift. Jabber me any time, too. I'm always here watching, even if I just lurk.
>> even though I work just twice a week. In the NOC >> folder, I must read all messages *urgently* before they vanish >> (otherwise I can't keep abreast of developments which are relevant to >> my weekend duties). > The contents of the folder /should/ be cleared out quickly (though > stored for reference). It's an incoming spool which should be dealt > with and logged. Anything that's relevant to the job should be > summarised in the shift reports and/or on the wiki. > > If you have time to read everything that flows thought that's great, > but part of the point of the shift reports is to provide a quick digest > to make it easy to catch up without reading every single mail.
Indeed. :-)

I cannot find the "smoking gun" at this moment, but going by/from memory, I was 'told off' for not checking work E-mail during my days off.

I was also (at the same time) working as a postdoc at the university and working on my sites, so my hands were full all the time.

Download Debian Developer Certificates

It's not like I was sitting there watching TV to "kill time".

Remember we're talking about a sordid employer which, as we found out over a decade later, was defrauding many employees and in more recent years began hiding from prosecution, even arrests. The former wife of the CEO, who had also served as a manager and Director, was aware but at the same time (apparently!) she was deeply concerned about this. She wasn't a geek, but she was complicit. It's not over, either. We'll get back to this one day.

The above (regarding E-mail) isn't a crime, of course, but it's just a recollection, brought up belatedly and in hindsight. People should not be required to perform work duties outside the workplace or outside working hours, even if it's just checking their E-mail. In Japan and elsewhere laws were passed for the "right to disconnect" (from work) and this means actual legal ramifications (actionable in court) for employers who defy the laws.

Employment rules and regulations are often discussed here in relation to the EPO. We'll do lots of that this month.

Other Recent Techrights' Posts

Daniel Pocock: "I've Gone to Some Lengths to Demonstrate How Corporate Bad Actors Have Used Amateur-hour Codes of Conduct to Push Volunteers Into Modern Slavery"
"As David explains, the Codes of Conduct should work the other way around to regulate the poor behavior of corporations who have been far too close to the Debian Suicide Cluster."

Links 18/05/2024: Caledonia Emergency Powers, "UK Prosecutor's Office Went Too Far in the Assange Case"
Links for the day
Microsoft ("a Dying Megacorporation that Does Not Create") and IBM: An Era of Dying Giants With Leadership Deficits and Corporate Bailouts (Subsidies From Taxpayers)
Microsoft seems to be resorting to lots of bribes and chasing of bailouts (i.e. money from taxpayers worldwide)
US Patent and Trademark Office Sends Out a Warning to People Who Do Not Use Microsoft's Proprietary Formats
They're punishing people who wish to use open formats
Links 18/05/2024: Fury in Microsoft Over Studio Shutdowns, More Gaming Layoffs
Links for the day
Over at Tux Machines...
GNU/Linux news for the past day
IRC Proceedings: Friday, May 17, 2024
IRC logs for Friday, May 17, 2024
Links 18/05/2024: KOReader, Benben v0.5.0 Progress Update, and More
Links for the day
Microsoft-Connected Sites Trying to Shift Attention Away From Microsoft's Megebreach Only Days Before Important If Not Unprecedented Grilling by the US Government?
Why does the mainstream media not entertain the possibility a lot of these talking points are directed out of Redmond?
[Meme] UEFI 'Secure' Boot Boiling Frog
UEFI 'Secure' Boot: You can just ignore it. You can just turn it off. You can hack on it as a workaround. Just use Windows dammit!
The Market Wants to Delete Windows and Install GNU/Linux, UEFI 'Secure' Boot Must Go!
To be very clear, this has nothing to do with security and those who insist that it is have absolutely no credentials
In the United States Of America the Estimated Share of Google Search Grew After Microsoft's Chatbot Hype (Which Coincided With Mass Layoffs at Bing)
Microsoft's chatbot hype started in late 2022
Techrights Will Categorically Object to Any Attempts to Deny Its Right to Publish Informative, Factual Material
we'll continue to publish about 20 pages per day while challenging censorship attempts
Links 17/05/2024: Microsoft Masks Layoffs With Return-to-office (RTO) Mandates, More YouTube Censorship
Links for the day
YouTube Progresses to the Next Level
YouTube is a ticking time bomb
Journalists and Human Rights Groups Back Julian Assange Ahead of Monday's Likely Very Final Decision
From the past 24 hours...
[Meme] George Washington and the Bill of Rights
Centuries have passed since the days of George Washington, but the principles are still the same
Video of Richard Stallman's Talk From Four Weeks Ago
2-hour video of Richard Stallman speaking less than a month ago
statCounter Says Twitter/X Share in Russia Fell From 23% to 2.3% in 3 Years
it seems like YouTube gained a lot
Journalist Who Won Awards for His Coverage of the Julian Assange Ordeals Excluded and Denied Access to Final Hearing
One can speculate about the true reason/s
Richard Stallman's Talk, Scheduled for Two Days Ago, Was Not Canceled But Really Delayed
American in Paris
3 More Weeks for Daniel Pocock's Campaign to Win a Seat in European Parliament Elections
Friday 3 weeks from now is polling day
Microsoft Should Have Been Fined and Sanctioned Over UEFI 'Lockout' (Locking GNU/Linux Out of New PCs)
Why did that not happen?
Gemini Links 16/05/2024: Microsoft Masks Layoffs With Return-to-office (RTO) Mandates, Cash Issues
IRC Proceedings: Thursday, May 16, 2024
IRC logs for Thursday, May 16, 2024
Ex-Red Hat CEO Paul Cormier Did Not Retire, He Just Left IBM/Red Hat a Month Ago (Ahead of Layoff Speculations)
Rather than retire he took a similar position at another company
Linux.com Made Its First 'Article' in Over and Month, It Was 10 Words in Total, and It's Not About Linux
play some 'webapp' and maybe get some digital 'certificate' for a meme like 'clown computing'
[Meme] Never Appease the Occupiers
Freedom requires truth. Free speech emancipates.
Thorny Issues, Violent Response
They say protests (or strikes) that do not disrupt anything are simply not effective. The same can be said about reporting.
GNU/Linux in Malaysia: From 0.2 Percent to 6+ Percent
That's like 30-fold increase in relative share
Liberty in Liberia? Windows Falls Below 10% and Below iOS
This is clearly a problem for Microsoft
Techrights Congratulates Raspberry Pi (With Caution and Reservations)
Raspberry Pi will "make or break" based on the decisions made in its boardroom
OSI Makes a Killing for Bill Gates and Microsoft (Plagiarism and GPL Violations Whitewashed and Openwashed)
meme and more
The FSF Ought to Protest Against UEFI 'Secure Boot' (Like It Used To)
libreplanet-discuss stuff
People Who Defend Richard Stallman's Right to Deliver Talks About His Work Are Subjected to Online Abuse and Censorship
Stallman video removed
GNU/Linux Grows in Denmark, But Much of That is ChromeOS, Which Means No Freedom
Google never designs operating systems with freedom in mind
Links 16/05/2024: Vehicles Lasting Fewer Years, Habitat Fragmentation Concerns
Links for the day
GNU/Linux Reaches 6.5% in Canada (Including ChromeOS), Based on statCounter
Not many news sites are left to cover this, let alone advocate for GNU/Linux
Links 16/05/2024: Orangutans as Political Props, VMware Calls Proprietary 'Free'
Links for the day
The Only Thing the So-called 'Hey Hi Revolution' Gave Microsoft is More Debt
Microsoft bailouts
TechTarget (and Computer Weekly et al): We Target 'Audiences' to Sell Your Products (Using Fake Articles and Surveillance)
It is a deeply rogue industry that's killing legitimate journalism by drowning out the signal (real journalism) with sponsored fodder
FUD Alert: 2024 is Not 2011 and Ebury is Not "Linux"
We've seen Microsofers (actual Microsoft employees) putting in a lot of effort to shift the heat to Linux
Links 15/05/2024: XBox Trouble, Slovakia PM Shot 5 Times
Links for the day
Windows in Times of Conflict
In pictures
IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, May 15, 2024
IRC logs for Wednesday, May 15, 2024